Crayon, Inc. Terms of service
Last Updated: May 2019
These Terms of Service (the “Agreement”) are entered into by and between the “Customer” listed on the Authorization Form attached hereto as Exhibit A (“Authorization Form”) and Crayon, Inc. (“Crayon”) on the effective date, as listed on the Authorization Form (“Effective Date“).
This Agreement governs Customer’s access to and use of the websites and other online products and services (collectively, the “Services”) provided by Crayon and described in the Authorization Form. The Services analyze and aggregate publicly available data and other third-party information and materials (“Third Party Materials”) about certain companies that Customer wishes to monitor (the “Targets”) and provides Customer, and its Authorized Users (as defined below) with strategic insights. “Authorized Users” means individual users authorized by Customer to use the Services, including accessing Customer’s account on the Services, and who Customer has supplied user identifications and passwords to, which may include Customer and its employees, consultants, contractors, agents, or other designees, but shall not include any employee or agent of any Crayon competitor.
1. Authorized User Accounts and Account SecurityCustomer will maintain and require its Authorized Users to maintain reasonable security of its and their credentials and promptly notify Crayon if it discovers or suspects that someone has used its or their usernames or passwords without authorization. Customer and each Authorized Users’ username and password is personal and may not be shared with any third parties. Customer is responsible for all activities that occur regarding its credentials or otherwise under its account and for the actions and omissions of its Authorized Users with respect to the Services. The Authorization Form will describe how much of the Services Customer is allowed to use (e.g. the number of Authorized Users and Targets). Customer will not exceed these restrictions, and if it does, Customer agrees that Crayon has a right to invoice for such excess usage and to pay any additional fees incurred.
2. User Content
Customer and its Authorized Users may create, post, store, send and share content, including messages, comments, text, photos, videos, and other materials (collectively, “User Content”). Customer and its Authorized Users’ search history on the Services is also User Content. Customer and its Authorized Users may not create, post, store, send or share any User Content that violates this Agreement or for which it does not have all the rights necessary to grant us the license described herein. Except for the license Customer grants below, Customer retains all rights in and to its User Content, as between Customer and Crayon.
Customer grants Crayon solely to the extent necessary for Crayon to provide the Services to Customer a nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, and fully-paid license during the Term to use, publish and display the User Content and any name or username provided in connection with the User Content. When Customer posts or otherwise shares User Content on or through the Services, Crayon will not disclose the User Content to any third parties except (a) as necessary for Crayon to provide, or improve, the Services and only to those third parties that have agreed to comply with substantially similar non-disclosure obligations provided for herein, (b) to comply with applicable law or if required by any governmental entity or (c) to enforce its rights under this Agreement. Customer also grants Crayon the right to use its name and logo on Crayon’s website and its marketing materials to identify Customer as a customer of Crayon.
Customer and its Authorized Users may not knowingly create, post, store, send or share any User Content that:
- Is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory or fraudulent;
- Would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party or otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;
- May infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party;
- Impersonates, or misrepresents their affiliation with, any person or entity;
- Contains any unsolicited promotions, political campaigning, advertising or solicitations;
- Contains any private or personal information of a third party without such third party’s consent;
- Contains any viruses, corrupted data or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files or content; or
- Is, in Crayon’s sole judgment, objectionable or that restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Services, or that may expose Crayon or others to any harm or liability of any type.
In addition, although Crayon has no obligation to screen, edit or monitor User Content, it may delete or remove User Content at any time and for any reason.
3. Prohibited Conduct
Customer and its Authorized Users will not violate any applicable law, contract, intellectual property or other third-party right or commit a tort and is solely responsible for its and its Authorized Users’ conduct while accessing or using the Services. Customer and its Authorized Users will not:
- Use or attempt to use another Authorized User’s account without authorization from that Authorized User and Crayon;
- Knowingly use the Services in any manner that could interfere with, disrupt, negatively affect or inhibit other users from fully enjoying the Services or that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the functioning of the Services in any manner;
- Reverse engineer any aspect of the Services or do anything that might discover source code or bypass or circumvent measures employed to prevent or limit access to any part of the Services;
- Attempt to circumvent any content-filtering techniques Crayon employs or attempt to access any feature or area of the Services that Customer is not authorized to access;
- Develop any scripts designed to scrape or extract data from the Services;
- Use any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; or
- Use the Services for any illegal or unauthorized purpose, or engage in, encourage or promote any activity that violates this Agreement.
4. Subscriptions and Renewals
This Agreement shall commence on the Effective Date and shall continue until terminated in accordance with its terms. The subscription period shall be as specified in the Authorization Form (each, a “Subscription Period”). Each Subscription Period will automatically renew on its expiration date for a subsequent Subscription Period of the same duration and at the then current Subscription Fees (as defined below) unless Customer elects not to renew the applicable Subscription in accordance with this Agreement. The initial Subscription Period and any renewals exercised by Customer shall be referred to herein (individually and collectively) as the “Term.” Customer may cancel the Services during a Subscription Period, but Customer will not be refunded any fees for any such voluntary cancellation.
The fees for the Services shall be set forth in the applicable Authorization Form (collectively, the “Subscription Fees”). Customer will pay Crayon the Subscription Fees and other amounts specified in the applicable Authorization Form (including any one-time set up fees), which may vary depending on the number of Authorized Users that will have access to the Services and the number of Targets. Customer will pay each of Crayon’s invoices within thirty (30) days after its receipt of the invoice by the payment method indicated in the applicable Authorization Form provided that if Customer has a bona fide dispute regarding any amount invoiced hereunder, Customer may, upon written notice to Crayon, withhold payment of the disputed amount (but shall pay the undisputed portion of the invoice) pending resolution of the dispute. The parties agree to work together expeditiously to resolve any such dispute. All Subscription Fees are exclusive of taxes and Customer will pay to Crayon all applicable taxes on the Services that Crayon is legally obligated or allowed to collect from Customer (other than taxes on Crayon’s income).
Any Subscription Fees not paid when due will bear interest at the rate of one and one-half percent (1.5%) per month or the maximum rate permitted by applicable usury law, whichever is less, computed and compounded daily from the date due until the date paid. Further, in the event of any action by Crayon to collect any amount not paid when due, Customer will pay or reimburse Crayon’s costs of collection (including, without limitation, any reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs). Crayon may accept any check or payment in any amount without prejudice to Crayon’s right to recover the balance of the amount due or to pursue any other right or remedy. No endorsement or statement on any check or payment or in any letter accompanying a check or payment or elsewhere will be construed as an accord or satisfaction.
6. Limited License; Copyright and Trademark
The Services are owned by or licensed to Crayon and are protected under both United States and foreign laws. Except as explicitly stated in this Agreement, Crayon and its licensors reserve all rights in and to the Services. Subject to Customer and its Authorized Users’ compliance with these the terms of this Agreement, Customer and its Authorized Users, are hereby granted a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, non-sublicensable, revocable, worldwide license to access and use the Services for Customer’s own internal business use, and solely for the purposes of performing monitoring and strategic analysis on Targets. The license granted by Crayon is subject to the terms of this Agreement and does not include any right to (a) sell, resell or commercially use the Services (b) except as expressly set forth herein or as otherwise expressly permitted by Crayon or its licensors, copy, reproduce, distribute, publicly perform or publicly display the Services; (c) except as expressly set forth herein, modify the Services, remove any proprietary rights notices or markings, or otherwise make any derivative uses of the Services; (d) use any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; and (e) use the Services other than as permitted hereunder.
If Customer provides to Crayon any suggestions, comments and/or other feedback regarding Crayon’s products and/or services (“Crayon Feedback”), Customer hereby grants to Crayon a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license, including the right to sublicense, to use the Crayon Feedback for the purposes of developing, improving, modifying and/or enhancing Crayon’s Services. Crayon acknowledges that any Crayon Feedback provided by Customer to Crayon is provided "as is" and Customer makes no representations or warranties of any nature whatsoever, express or implied, including without limitation, any warranties of fitness for a particular purpose or merchantability or against infringement or concerning the accuracy, suitability or usefulness of such Crayon Feedback.
8. Copyright Complaints
Crayon has a policy of limiting access to its Services and terminating the accounts of users who infringe the intellectual property rights of others. If Customer believes that anything on the Services infringes any copyright that Customer owns or controls, Customer may notify Crayon’s Designated Agent as follows:
268 Summer St, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02210
Please see 17 U.S.C. §512(c)(3) for the requirements of a proper notification. Also, please note that if Customer knowingly misrepresents that any activity or material on the Services is infringing, Customer may be liable to Crayon for certain costs and damages.
9. IndemnificationTo the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Customer will defend Crayon and its officers, directors, agents, partners and employees (individually and collectively, the “Crayon Parties”) against any and all third-party claims, demands or suits arising out of (a) Customer or its Authorized User’s violation, misappropriation or infringement of any rights of another (including intellectual property rights or privacy rights); (b) User Content; or (c) Customer or its Authorized User’s breach of this Agreement (collectively, “Crayon Claims”). The Crayon Parties will promptly notify the Customer of any Crayon Claims and will cooperate with Customer in defending such Crayon Claims. Customer will pay all fees, costs and expenses associated with defending such Crayon Claims (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees) and will have control of the defense or settlement of any such Crayon Claims.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Crayon will defend Customer and its officers, directors, agents, partners and employees (individually and collectively, the “Customer Parties”) against any and all third party claims, demands or suits arising out of any allegation that the Services, but not including the Third Party Materials, infringe any U.S. patent, copyright or trademark (“Customer Claims”). The Customer Parties will promptly notify Crayon of any Customer Claims and will cooperate with Crayon in defending such Customer Claims. Crayon will pay all fees, costs and expenses associated with defending such Customer Claims (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees) and will have control of the defense or settlement of any such Customer Claims. In addition, if a claim described above may be or has been asserted, Crayon will, at Crayon’s option and at its sole expense, either (i) procure for Customer the right to continue using the Services; (ii) replace or modify the Services to eliminate the infringement or alleged infringement; or (iii) terminate the Agreement and provide Customer a refund of any prepaid but unused fees.
This Section 9 states the indemnifying party’s sole liability to, and the indemnified party’s exclusive remedy against, the other party for any type of claim described in this Section 9.
10. Disclaimers and WarrantiesAs part of the Services, Crayon may include links to certain third-party sites containing third party data, information and materials, including Third-Party Materials. Customer acknowledges and agrees that its use of Third-Party Materials may be subject to third party terms and conditions that govern such Third-Party Materials. Customer acknowledges that Crayon does not own, create or control the Third-Party Materials and that the Third-Party Materials may include content that is objectionable to Customer or its Authorized Users. Without limiting the foregoing, Crayon does not control, endorse or take responsibility for any User Content or third-party content (including any Third-Party Materials) available on or linked to by the Services.
Crayon represents and warrants that (i) the Services will perform in material compliance with its documentation and be provided in a professional manner in accordance with industry standards and (ii) to the best of its knowledge, the Services do not contain any viruses, worms or other harmful computer code. If Crayon is not able to cure any breach of the above warranties within 30 days of written notice of such breach, Customer shall have the right to terminate this Agreement and receive a pro rata refund for the unused portion of the Term.
Each party represents and warrants that it is not owned or controlled by, nor does it own or control, a person or entity that is (a) on the list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons maintained by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury or any list of known or suspected terrorists, terrorist organizations or other prohibited persons published by any jurisdiction in which it is doing business, or (b) subject to economic or trade sanctions imposed by the United States Government, which restrict U.S. companies from engaging in financial or other transactions with such entity for any reason, including but not limited to being resident or headquartered in or a governmental entity of a country subject to such sanctions.
Customer’s use of the Services is at its sole risk. The Services are provided “as is” and “as available” and, except as provided for herein, without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and non-infringement. and Crayon does not represent or warrant that the Services are accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. Customer assumes the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Services.
11. Limitation of Liability
EXCEPT IN CONNECTION WITH A PARTY’S INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, A PARTY’S BREACH OF ITS CONFIDENTIALITY OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, CUSTOMER’S PAYMENT OBLIGATIONS OR CUSTOMER’S BREACH OF THE LICENSE TERMS OR RESTRICTIONS HEREIN: (A) NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER PARTY OR ANY THIRD PARTY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT, OR UNDER ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY (INCLUDING STRICT LIABILITY), FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SIMILAR DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS OR REVENUES, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH CLAIM; AND (B) IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF EITHER PARTY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF FEES PAID OR PAYABLE TO CRAYON DURING THE TWELVE MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO SUCH CLAIM.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, each party releases other party and its officers, directors, agents, partners and employees from responsibility, liability, claims, demands, and/or damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown (including, but not limited to, claims of negligence), arising out of or related to disputes between users and the acts or omissions of third parties. Each party expressly waives any rights it may have under California Civil Code § 1542 as well as any other statute or common law principles that would otherwise limit the coverage of this release to include only those claims which it may know or suspect to exist in its favor at the time of agreeing to this release.
13. Confidentiality.“Confidential Information” means all information disclosed by a party (“Discloser”) to the other party (“Recipient”) related to this Agreement, including disclosures prior the execution of this Agreement whether orally or in writing, that is designated as confidential or, given the nature of the information and the circumstances of disclosure, should be understood to be confidential. Confidential Information of each party includes the terms and conditions of the Agreement and all Authorization Forms, including pricing, as well as business and marketing plans, technology and technical information, product plans and designs, and business processes disclosed in connection with the Agreement. Confidential Information does not include information that: (a) is at the time of disclosure, or later becomes, generally known to the public through no fault of Recipient; (b) was known to the Recipient with no obligation of confidentiality prior to disclosure by Discloser, as proven by records of Recipient; (c) is disclosed to Recipient by a third party who did not directly or indirectly obtain the information subject to any confidentiality obligation; (d) is at any time independently developed by Recipient as proven by records of Recipient; or (e ) the Third Party Materials.
Except as provided herein, Recipient shall not disclose or otherwise make available any Confidential Information of the Discloser to anyone except those of its employees, attorneys, agents and consultants who: (a) need to know the Confidential Information in connection with the purpose of the Agreement and (b) who have previously agreed to be bound by confidentiality obligations no less stringent than those in the Agreement. Furthermore, each party agrees to not use the other party’s Confidential Information except pursuant to, and in order to carry out, the terms of this Agreement. Each party shall safeguard all Confidential Information of the other party with at least the same degree of care (but no less than reasonable care) as it uses to safeguard its own confidential information.
If the Recipient is compelled by law to disclose Confidential Information of the Discloser, then to the extent legally permitted, Recipient shall provide the Discloser with prior notice of the compelled disclosure and reasonable assistance, at Discloser’s cost, if the Discloser wishes to contest the compelled disclosure. Any compelled disclosure shall be limited to the extent required and shall be subject to confidentiality protections to the extent practicable. If the Recipient is compelled by law to disclose the Discloser’s Confidential Information as part of a civil proceeding to which the Discloser is a party, and the Discloser is not contesting the disclosure, the Discloser will reimburse the Recipient for its reasonable cost of compiling and providing secure access to that Confidential Information.
14. Transfer and Processing Data
15. Dispute Resolution; Binding Arbitration
Except for small claims disputes in which a party seeks to bring an individual action in small claims court located in the county of its billing address or disputes in which such party seeks injunctive or other equitable relief for the alleged unlawful use of intellectual property, Customer and Crayon waive their rights to a jury trial and to have any dispute arising out of or related to this Agreement or our Services resolved in court. Instead, all disputes arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the Services will be resolved through confidential binding arbitration held in Boston, Massachusetts in accordance with the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures (“Rules”) of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (“JAMS”), which are available on the JAMS website and hereby incorporated by reference.
16. Governing Law and Venue
This Agreement will be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of Massachusetts, without regard to conflict of law rules or principles (whether of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction. Any dispute between the parties that is not subject to arbitration or cannot be heard in small claims court will be resolved in the state or federal courts of Massachusetts and the United States, respectively, sitting in Boston, Massachusetts.
Customer may contact Crayon by phone Monday-Friday between 9 AM EST - 5 PM EST at 857-990-4800 or by email at email@example.com for technical support for the Services.
18. Export Compliance
All or part of the Services may be subject to U.S. export control and economic sanctions laws (“Export Controls”). Customer agrees to abide by all Export Controls as they relate to its and its Authorized Users’ access and use of the Services.
In the event Customer terminates this Agreement for Crayon’s material breach and Crayon does not cure such material breach within 30 days written notice of such material breach, Customer will receive a prorated refund of any prepaid fees for unused Services.
If any provision or part of a provision of this Agreement is unlawful, void or unenforceable, that provision or part of the provision is deemed severable from this Agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Customer and Crayon relating to the subject matter hereof, superseding all prior agreements, representations, warranties, promises or conditions (if any) in connection therewith, whether oral or written. No modification, amendment, supplement to, or waiver of this Agreement or any of its provisions shall be binding upon the parties hereto unless made in writing and duly signed by both parties. Neither this Agreement nor any part hereof may be assigned (whether by operation of law or otherwise) by either party without the other party’s prior written consent (such consent not to be unreasonably withheld), and any such assignment will be void. Notwithstanding the foregoing, each party may assign this Agreement to any successor in the event of a merger, sale or other disposition of a majority of its assets upon written notice to the other party, provided that Customer may not assign this Agreement if such assignee is a competitor of Crayon. This Agreement will be binding upon the parties’ respective successors and assigns. This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, by facsimile or otherwise, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument. Any rights or obligations set forth in this Agreement which by their nature are intended to survive, shall survive termination hereof. The failure of either party to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement will not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. The section titles in this Agreement are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. Except as otherwise provided herein, this Agreement is intended solely for the benefit of the parties and are not intended to confer third party beneficiary rights upon any other person or entity.